Annie’s cabin is a bungalow, with car parking and all rooms on a single level. There are 2 outdoor areas also on the same level, connected by a boardwalk, and accessible either from the sitting room (trifold door approx. 2m wide), or from the main bedroom (door 950mm wide).
All exterior doors open outwards, and are at least 950mm wide, and the 3 internal doors also open outwards from the rooms and are 950mm wide.
We live about 100 yards away and are more than happy to discuss access requirements prior to booking. We look forward to welcoming you.
Below is a standard access statement, but if you’d like more specific details of our disabled facilities from an independent charity, click here
We use email, telephone and letter as our main forms of communication with guests. We have a website – www.ludlowecologcabins.co.uk – which includes a floorplan, and a description of disabled facilities.
- The nearest bus stop is a mile away at the Ludlow Park & Ride car park, providing a service for a further mile into the centre of Ludlow. You can walk to this bus stop along the road, but most of the walk is without pavement, so care is needed. Alternatively, there is a pleasanter walking route into Ludlow, approx. 3 miles along a little used back road. From Ludlow, buses connect to Hereford, Shrewsbury and Birmingham. See link below for further details of buses routes and timetables:
The nearest train station is also at Ludlow, with easy connections to Hereford, Shrewsbury, Cardiff and Manchester, and a 4 hour connection to London. Access without steps to both platforms. We are happy to transport up to 4 guests, by arrangement, to and from Ludlow station at start and end of your stay.
The nearest Shop-Mobility schemes are in Leominster (10 miles away) and in Hereford (24 miles away).
There are Radar toilets in Ludlow at Smithfield Car Park, Lower Galdeford and Castle Square Car Park.
Tesco deliver groceries and accept orders via the Internet.
Local taxis able to carry wheelchairs can be arranged.
We would suggest that the cabin is not suitable for guests with significant mobility to holiday alone.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
There are 2 parking spaces and a turning space at the front of the cabin. You can park within 5 metres of the front door. A level boardwalk leads from the parking area into the cabin. The front door is 950mm wide. All guests are provided with our telephone number prior to arrival and arrival time and needs are discussed in advance – we would normally meet our guests and can offer assistance if required.
There are outdoor lights triggered by a movement sensor lighting the entrance and parking area.
We don’t normally allow pets, but guide dogs are welcome.
Sitting rooms and dining areas
- The floor of the cabin is wooden throughout, with an area of coir matting set into the floor inside the front door. The matting is flush with the floor level, so a wheelchair is not impeded.
- The kitchen, dining and sitting areas of the cabin are open plan, with a 3-seater leather sofa bed and 2 easy chairs with wooden arms. These are centred around the woodpellet stove. A further easy chair can be brought in from the main bedroom if required. There is a Freeview TV with remote control, DVD/CD player also with a remote control and some DVDs. The dining table accommodates 6, and there is a further table outside, which also accommodates 6. Dining chairs are intended for use either inside or out, and are folding wooden chairs with arms, and flexible seats and backs.
- There is a central smoke alarm in the hallway. All rooms have external doors, apart from the wetroom and the smaller bedroom, which has a fire escape route via a window.
There is a standard size, AEG front-loading washing machine in the kitchen, which has the highest energy rating possible at the time of purchase – Wash energy rating A, Spin drying energy rating A.
The cabin is set in a 2 acre meadow, with a small river running round it.
Immediately around the cabin there are 2 sitting areas connected by a boardwalk, all on the same level as the interior, and easily accessible by wheelchair. One of these areas is completely covered by the roof, the other only partially. Both areas have lighting, including small fibre optic lights set into the boardwalk. The edges of these wooden areas either have railings, or give directly onto lawn at the same level.
The boardwalk is in turn surrounded by grassed lawn, meadow, and then the river. Access to these areas is less suitable for a wheelchair, but not impossible.
There is a sitting area and basic barbecue beside the river, but this area would not be suitable for a wheelchair user.
Bedrooms & Sleeping Areas
There are 2 bedrooms, a double and a twin, both with a door width of 950mm, and further sleeping accommodation on the double sofabed.
The main double bedroom has a 4ft 6” bed. Mattress height is 620mm – if you require a higher height than this, it would be possible to raise the bed with prior notice. Access to the bed on the near side is 1.3m wide, and 650mm wide on the far side. There is normally a small easy chair in this bedroom, mirror useable by sitting on the bed, built in wardrobe, chest of drawers, 2 bedside tables with drawers.
The second bedroom is normally set up for twin occupancy, but can be changed for occupancy by a single wheelchair user by removing one of the beds, or the two beds can be pushed together. Normal mattress height here is 610mm, but could be raised with prior notice. If one of the beds were removed, access to the bed would be 1.4m wide. Wardrobe, chest of drawers and bedside table with drawers.
Mattresses are organic, pillows are latex.
There are bedside lamps to either side of double beds and for each single bed.
Bathroom, Shower-room & WC [Ensuite or Shared]
The cabin has a wetroom, with a lavatory and shower, shower seat, folding chair, 2 hinged grabrails, and 3 fixed grabrails, and a wide low basin with free space beneath it. The wetroom design was approved by our local Access officer.
Water is heated by 2 solar panels, backed up by an immersion heater.
- The kitchen is open plan with worktop height 90cm. There are both wall and floor mounted cupboards for storage.
- Crockery, glassware etc. is normally stored in wall mounted cupboards, but this can be rearranged if needed. Help is available.
- Oven door opens downwards, height of lowest shelf 40cm high.
- Sink 90cm high with cupboards underneath.
- Induction hob 90cm high
Fridge with a freezer compartment below worktop.
Microwave on worktop.
The cabin and immediate wooden surroundings are non-smoking.
Mobile phone reception in the area is poor.
We live adjacent to the cabin and are generally available 24 hours a day.
We want to make it as easy as possible for everyone to enjoy their holiday, so our policy is to provide support whenever practicable, provided we know in advance; so we ask all our guests to discuss their needs with us at the time of booking.
We welcome your feedback to help us continually improve. If you have any comments please phone 07977091928 or email email@example.com